This is a topic I love to write about, and did, back in Dec 2011, where I determined that
MEANINGFUL PERSONAL INTENTIONS + ACCOUNTABILITY= BEST YEAR EVER!
It still rings true. I had to ensure that what was important to me, a must do, was something that made it on my list for the year, and anything that wasn't, didnt. I set intentions instead of resolutions then, and they were so much more compassionate and loving.
Intentions 'have in mind a purpose or plan, they direct the mind, they aim'. Intentions are gentler, more easily managed, and based on the destination rather than the steps needed to get there. With intention, all the forces of the universe can align to make even the most impossible, possible, without us having to know the how to. Intention requires a shift in the way we look at things, from a mode of lack (think resolutions) to abundance. Intentions work best when they are set in a positive, present and affirmative manner, such as I intend to have a light and fully nourished body instead of I will not eat crap anymore.
To set intentions, we need to get really clear on what we want for ourselves, and then we will be able to more fully commit to them.
CLARITY= PERSONALLY RELEVANT INTENTIONS=COMMITMENT
To come up with your intentions, ask yourself:
What it is about your self or your life that you would like to change? Who do you want to be? How do you want to show up in the world? Write it down.
Why it matters, or the difference the changes would make? Keep asking yourself why (and writing it down) until your answers change from a physical focus to an inner focus. The deeper you go, the clearer you will be on what you are trying to attract. And the more important the why, the easier it will be to commit to realizing it.
For me, despite all my training, the seminars I've attended, my personal work, and my own coaching box of tricks, lately I find that I have been straying off the path of healthy eating that I preach to my clients due to time constraints and stress. So one of my intentions is to find a way to get back on track quickly when I find myself eating things that I cannot tolerate but eat anyway. The WHY of my focus on eating healthy is so I can feel good in my body, fit into my clothes, set a great example for my clients and kids, and ultimately to feel loveable and sexy. Eating clean for me makes me coach better, parent better, and staves off depression, bloating, and weight gain. I may not want to eat good all the time, but I want to be the best mom, friend, and coach I can be. That’s a pretty powerful why.
At this point, take some time and write your intentions down. Try to limit your list to 10 or less. Go through each one, ask yourself how they feel, and energetically align with them. If you are not thinking Hell YES for each, change them until you do.
Then, pick one intention to focus on at a time. Pick the one that is the most important MUST for you right now. Commit 100% to doing what you need to realize that intention (the destination, not the how). And yes, just this one. It's so easy to get overwhelmed by trying to do too many things at a time (trust me, I know). So start small. Make it ridiculously easy for you to succeed. It is feels like too much of a struggle, back off and start even smaller.
Once you feel that intention one is manageable and sustainable without much effort, move onto to number two. Give yourself at least a month for each intention, since it takes 21 days to change a habit, and we're in no rush. Take that extra week for good measure.
As you are go through this process, periodically assess how you are doing and make revisions to your intentions as needed. When we set intentions, we work to align ourselves energetically with whom we want to be and what we want to achieve, and as such we may stumble across some resistance to these changes, or find that our initial intentions are out-of-alignment with the end we desire. Setting intentions is a process that naturally unfolds as we evolve.
Some keys to making this easy, painless, and fun:
- Get an accountability partner*. Someone that will help you stay on task, jumpstart your enthusiasm, remind you of your greatness, stretch you, and get you on track to realize your evolution (*if you need one, give me a call!).
- Let go of everyone or anything that is holding you back.
- Fail quickly, learn from it, and start again. Failure is a teacher and a guide, and allows you to grow.
- Forgive yourself and others. We are all doing the best we can with what we have.
- Be nice to yourself. Pretend that you are a three year old child who is crying because she says you don’t love her, and speak to yourself using the same words and intonation you would use with her.
- Stop negative self talk in its tracks. Counter it with the truth.
- Give your inner critic a name and assign it blame when she speaks up…oh, that’s just fussy pants being cranky. Don’t take her seriously. Remember that You are enough. You can do whatever you want.
- See more at: http://www.flyingdragonwellness.com/blog/2013/06/intentions#sthash.WdLlFdaj.dpuf